Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued Requests for Proposals (RFP) to six shortlisted consortiums for two Ontario Line major-works contracts in Toronto: Pape Tunnel and Underground Stations, and Elevated Guideway and Stations.
The packages are being delivered using a “Progressive Design-Build” delivery model, IO and Metrolinx noted. “Shortlisted teams were selected based on criteria identified in the RFQ (Request for Qualifications) process that began in November 2022, which included their design and construction experience.”
The following consortiums, listed here with their prime members, were invited to respond to the RFPs:
Pape Tunnel and Underground Stations
- Community Transit Link. Applicant Lead STRABAG Inc. Design Team STRABAG Inc. and Arup Canada Inc. Construction Team STRABAG Inc.
- Pape North Connect: Applicant Leads Webuild S.p.A. and FCC CONSTRUCCIÓN, S.A. Design Team IBI Group Professional Services (Canada) Inc. and AECOM Canada Ltd. Construction Team Webuild S.p.A. and FCC CONSTRUCCIÓN, S.A.
- Trillium Subway Partners: Applicant Leads Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Eiffage Innovative Canada Inc. and Amico Infrastructures Inc. Design Team WSP Canada Inc. (Lead Designer), Typsa Canada Inc. and LEA Consulting Ltd. Construction Team Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Eiffage Innovative Canada Inc.
Elevated Guideway and Stations
- Rail Connect Partnership: Applicant Leads: SNC-Lavalin Major Projects Inc. and Bird Construction Industrial Services Ltd. Design Team T.Y. Lin International Canada Inc. and Entuitive Corporation. Construction Team SNC-Lavalin Major Projects Inc., Bird Construction Industrial Services Ltd.
- Transit Expansion North: Applicant Leads Pomerleau Inc., Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc. and Bouygues Travaux Publics S.A.S. Design Team Parsons Inc., SYSTRA International Bridge Technologies Canada, Inc. and GHD Limited. Construction Team Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc. andBouygues Travaux Publics S.A.S.
- Trillium Guideway Partners: Applicant Leads Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Amico Infrastructures Inc. and Dufferin Construction Company, a division of CRH Canada Group Inc. Design Team WSP Canada Inc. Construction Team Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Amico Infrastructures Inc. and Dufferin Construction Company, a division of CRH Canada Group Inc.
The shortlisted consortiums “will begin preparing proposals that detail how they will deliver these projects,” IO and O Metrolinx, who will evaluate the proposals, said. “The top-ranked team for each project will work collaboratively with Metrolinx during a Development Phase, expected to start in 2024. Once the Development Phase is completed, Metrolinx will have the option to sign a contract with the successful team.”
The Ontario Line is a new, C$11 billion 9.7-mile (15.6-kilometer), 15-station rapid transit system in Toronto running between the Ontario Science Centre and Exhibition/Ontario Place. It will provide more than 40 connections to TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) subway, bus and streetcar services; and Metrolinx light rail transit and GO Transit regional rail services. It is being delivered through “various Public-Private-Partnership (P3) progressive design-build and traditional procurement contracts,all being staged accordingly for their successful delivery.”
This project segment involves four work packages consisting two major works contracts as noted above and two smaller early works contracts at www.metrolinx.com/tenders.