Jacksonville, Fla.-based Duos Technologies appoints rail veteran Frank Lonegro to its Board of Directors. Also, Olsson, a Lincoln, Neb.-based engineering firm, expands its executive leadership group.
At Duos, Frank Lonegro is joining the Board of Directors. With a 30-year professional career spanning leadership roles in finance, law, technology and operations, he currently serves as Chief Financial Officer for Beacon Roofing Supply, a Fortune 500 distributor of roofing materials and complementary building products, including siding and waterproofing. He worked previously at CSX, starting in 2000 as Assistant General Counsel and holding various senior executive roles such as Vice President, Mechanical (2012-14), Vice President, Service Design (2014-15), and Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer from 2015 to 2019. During Lonegro’s tenure at CSX, he led the Class I’s Positive Train Control initiative from 2008 to 2015, and represented the rail industry at several Congressional and regulatory hearings.
Lonegro will serve as an Independent Director at Duos, replacing Ed Harris who served on the Board until November 2022. With a “proven track record of driving shareholder value, spearheading major initiatives, navigating complex environments and transforming organizations,” Duos said Lonegro “will contribute significantly” to the Board. His addition brings the Board composition back to five total directors, four of whom are independent, according to the company.
“I am delighted to welcome Frank to our Board,” Duos CEO Chuck Ferry said. “Emerging, high-growth companies are well served by Board members like Frank, who have the expertise necessary to mentor senior management and the vast industry knowledge to help guide and propel our growth in an industry as important and complex as rail. I look forward to working with Frank as Duos continues its growth trajectory and benefitting from his hands-on approach to sharing his deep industry knowledge.”
“On behalf of the entire Duos organization, I would like to formally welcome Frank to our Board,” Company Board Chair Kenneth Ehrman said. “Frank brings decades of leadership experience in key areas of the transportation and industrial sectors, including rail operations and safety technology, strategic planning, and financial and regulatory stewardship, all of which are vital to our future.”
Lonegro added: “I’ve been very impressed by the Duos rail inspection portal technology and believe the company is addressing a large, unmet need much in the way that PTC did. I look forward to offering my knowledge, experience and relationships with freight and passenger rail operators to help make Duos the leading wayside transportation technology provider.”
In related developments, Duos on July 13 announced that it had implemented its first subscription services agreement with a passenger transit operator, offering access to the company’s Railcar Inspection Portal (RIP®) and optional artificial intelligence (AI) detection models for key inspection points. Also, David McKee, another former CSX veteran, joined the Duos Industry Advisory Group last fall.
At Olsson, the executive leadership team has been expanded to 10 members, six of whom are new and have been promoted from other other company roles:
- Chief Operating Officer Ron Mersch will oversee Olsson’s markets—including Mass Transit, Rail, Aviation, Bridges, and Highways & Streets—as well as disciplines and geographies. He will focus on performance, efficiency, structural alignment and technical expertise. Mersch previously led the firm’s Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Arkansas region.
- Chief Development Officer Dave Roberts will lead the firm’s growth strategy, including sales and mergers and acquisitions. He previously led Olsson’s facilities practice.
- Executive Vice President of Markets Sarah Foster will focus on strategy and operations across Olsson’s technical markets. She assumes the role after leading firm’s water practice.
- Executive Vice President of Disciplines Len Swartz will focus on developing technical expertise and increasing capacity to serve a variety of clients. Swartz most recently led Olsson’s site civil practice.
- Executive Vice President of Innovation and Sales Jered Morris will oversee the firm’s business development efforts and will focus on using technology to expand client offerings. He most recently led Olsson’s sales and growth team.
- Executive Vice President of Talent Meghan O’Connell will implement strategies that promote a “best-in-class” environment for the firm’s workforce. She previously led Olsson’s talent group.
“It’s imperative that Olsson has a strong leadership structure in place as we continue to grow,” CEO Brad Strittmatter said. “This expanded team enables us to serve clients, provide a strong employee experience and build on our success.”
Strittmatter has served as Olsson’s CEO since 2016. He will continue to focus on Olsson’s vision, culture, brand expansion, succession and creating shareholder value. According to Olsson, Chief Financial Officer Jeff Jenkins will remain in the role he has held since 2010, overseeing finance and accounting, as well as the firm’s legal, insurance and commercial real estate matters.
Two other tenured executive team members will serve in newly created positions:
- Chief Relationship Officer John Olsson will oversee Olsson’s government relations group and will work to develop connections within the public sector. He has served on the executive team since 2009.
- Chief Culture Officer Melissa Newton will continue to focus on Olsson’s people, overseeing the firm’s talent, organizational design and brand. She has been a member of the executive team since 2008.