Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W) on Dec. 28 released its 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Supplemental Data Report, introducing its UK/Europe Region and providing updates on its ESG initiatives and progress during Fiscal Year (FY) 2021, the short line railroad company announced via a LinkedIn post.
The 21-page supplemental report builds upon G&W’s inaugural ESG Report, which was released in Dec. 2021, with a baseline reporting and measurement of FY 2020.
“Operating railroads responsibly and efficiently has always been a guiding principle at G&W,” stated G&W CEO John C. Hellmann in the report. “We reinforced these commitments when we published our inaugural ESG Report, which codified our five ESG pillars–to protect the environment; to ensure the safety of our people, communities and customers; to be the company of choice for our employees; to enhance the strength of the communities we serve; and to build trust through transparency.”
The supplemental report highlights the following areas of focus.
- “G&W has reduced emissions and demonstrated its commitment to protecting the environment–the company recently submitted a science-based emissions reduction target to the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) with a proposed target of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity for all G&W operations by approximately 42% by 2035. As the company awaits approval of its target by SBTi, G&W continues to deploy fuel-saving technologies across its global locomotive fleet to help it reach its SBTi target.
- “To help meet its goal, G&W’s UK/Europe rail operations are testing alternatives to diesel fuel, including hydrotreated vegetable oil (HVO) and a hybrid fuel made from waste oil and gas that cut CO2-equivalent emissions over diesel by 92% and nearly 50%, respectively.
- “G&W remains fully committed to safe operations–G&W’s operations worldwide were more than two times safer than the U.S. short line industry safety metric average as reported by the U.S. Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- “G&W launched an Employee Engagement Survey and held DE&I Focus Groups to strengthen employee engagement and foster an inclusive workplace in furtherance of becoming the Company of Choice for its people.
- “G&W invested $280 million worldwide in its infrastructure and rail equipment. In 2021, the company invested more than $240 million of capital to strengthen and expand infrastructure in the North American economies that it serves, which included a commitment of $42 million to upgrade 87.7 miles of main line track from Fort Pierre to Rapid City, S.D.
- “G&W sought feedback from more than 1,500 customers in its biennial Customer Satisfaction Survey. In North America, G&W received its highest ever overall customer satisfaction score of 8.14 (out of 10) and outperformed the railroad and trucking industry, which received scores of 6.86 and 6.75, respectively. G&W uses the survey information to improve its operations and build trust with its customers.
“Our initiatives demonstrate that our employees, customers, suppliers and community members can rely on our unwavering commitment to our ESG pillars as we safely and sustainably deliver world-class transportation service,” G&W stated in the report.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL SUPPLEMENTAL REPORT BELOW:
DOWNLOAD THE ANNUAL ESG REPORT BELOW: