Our first in-person Women in Rail conference takes place Nov. 2 in Chicago!
Railway Age / RT&S Women in Rail 2023 is your opportunity to network with a diverse group of women and their allies as we discuss how railroaders can maintain the momentum of inclusion, build strong support networks, and take advantage of ever-broadening career opportunities.
Join us on Nov. 2 as the industry conversation continues with this live event covering the freight, passenger, and transit rail sectors!
Why You Should Attend Women in Rail 2023
- Get career insights from our speakers, who will share how they rose to the top of their field.
- Discover career advancement and development opportunities and methodologies to improve skillsets.
- Network with your peers—both upcoming talents and accomplished women who have blazed a trail.
- Learn how mentorship and ERGs (Employee Resource Groups) can offer community building and support.
- Explore how DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) initiatives in today’s railways are supporting women.
Judy K. CarterSVP & Chief Human Resources Officer, BNSF
Janet DrysdaleSVP & Chief Stakeholder Relations Officer, CN
Deb SchrampferAVP & Chief Diversity Officer, Workforce Resources, Union Pacific
Peter A. GilbertsonPresident & CEO, Anacostia Rail Holdings Company
Robert GrastyEVP & Chief Human Resources Officer, Amtrak
Rachael PetersonEVP & Chief People Officer, Watco
Don ItzkoffChief Policy Officer, Patriot Rail Company
Sebastian MorenoDirector, Diversity & Inclusion, NJ TRANSIT
CleLeatha ShawManager - Crew Dispatching, Metra
Cherita Hunter JonesGroup Manager Performance Excellence, Norfolk Southern
Staci Moody-GilbertVP, BMWED-International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Marc BuncherPresident & CEO, Siemens Mobility North America
Kari GonzalesPresident & CEO, MxV Rail
Ed QuinnPresident & CEO, R. J. Corman Railroad Group
Maggie VuonoPresident, TraConcepts
Jannet Walker-FordSVP & National Transit & Rail Business Line Leader, WSP USA / Chair, WTS International
Matt DickChief of Strategy & Development, ENSCO
Jacqueline PattersonVP & Co-Founder, Zephyr UAS, Inc.
Anna BarryProgram Manager & VP, HNTB
Luisa Fernandez-WilleyAVP - Policy & Economics, AAR
Sarah YuraskoPresident, League of Railway Women; SVP Law & General Counsel, ASLRRA
Patty LongPresident, Railway Supply Institute
Laura RamirezHead of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Trinity Industries
KellyAnne GallagherCEO, Commuter Rail Coalition
Barbara WilsonFreight Rail Industry C-Suite Executive
Tom PrendergastEVP, AECOM
Danielle KandybowiczVP of Human Resources, RailWorks
Jason WardFounder & Managing Partner, Industrial Search Partners
Sponsorships are available for all Railway Age and RT&S events. For more information, contact Jonathan Chalon at [email protected], 212.620.7224.
Venue | Hotel Reservations
The conference takes place at the Union League Club of Chicago.
A limited number of rooms are available at the Union League Club at the group rate of $269 per night (plus taxes/fees/non-member surcharge). P: 312-427-7800, E: [email protected], mention “Railway Age Women in Rail.”
Union League Club of Chicago
65 West Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604
Contact us at [email protected].
6:00 to 7:30 PM
Welcome Reception in the Heritage Room
Registration & Badge Pickup | Continental Breakfast (sponsorship available)
A conversation with Judy Carter, Senior Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer, BNSF
Case Study presented by Edna A. Rice Executive Recruiters, Inc.
- Luisa Fernandez-Willey, Assistant Vice President – Policy & Economics, Association of American Railroads
- Shannon Farling Scott, Assistant General Counsel, CSX
Employee Resource Groups
The panel will delve into what ERGs are; how they provide community/support and address DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) initiatives; plus how to start ERGs and what to include.
Co-moderated by Sarah Yurasko, President, League of Railway Women / Senior Vice President Law & General Counsel, American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association and Railway Age and RT&S Editorial Staff
- Laura Ramirez, Head of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Trinity Industries, Inc.
- Sebastian Moreno, Director of Diversity & Inclusion, NJ TRANSIT
- Deb Schrampfer, Assistant Vice President & Chief Diversity Officer, Workforce Resources, Union Pacific
Coffee Break sponsored by Watco
Technology and Innovation
Our panel will address the latest freight railroad and passenger railroad/transit industry technologies and innovations, plus how companies can support employee education on these subjects.
Co-moderated Patty Long, President, Railway Supply Institute and Railway Age and RT&S Editorial Staff
- Marc Buncher, President & CEO, Siemens Mobility, Inc. North America
- Kari L. Gonzales, President & CEO, MxV Rail
- Jannet Walker-Ford, Senior Vice President & National Transit & Rail Business Line Leader, WSP USA / Chair, WTS International
- Tom Prendergast, Executive Vice President, AECOM
Women in Rail from the Short Line Perspective
Peter A. Gilbertson, President & CEO, Anacostia Rail Holdings Company
Luncheon sponsored by Canadian National (CN)
Speakers will discuss how recruitment and retention is changing; inclusion; career growth opportunities in the industry; how companies are supporting the well-being of women today (productivity, work/life balance, networking, community building, mental welfare, effects from the COVID-19 pandemic); and how companies are addressing challenges for women in the workplace.
Moderated by Railway Age and RT&S Editorial Staff
- Rachael Peterson, Executive Vice President & Chief People Officer, Watco
- Robert Grasty, Executive Vice President & Chief Human Resource Officer, Amtrak
- Danielle Kandybowicz, Vice President of Human Resources, RailWorks
- Jason Ward, Founder & Managing Partner, Industrial Search Partners
We will explore the mentorship role from the mentor and mentee perspective; how to find a mentor who can help guide your career and address challenges, such as feeling isolated within your discipline; how to navigate the mentor-mentee relationship; and how to best help mentees.
Co-moderated by Maggie Vuono, President, TraConcepts / Chair, Mentorship Committee, League of Railway Women and Railway Age and RT&S Editorial Staff
- Anna Barry, Program Manager & Vice President, HNTB
- Don Itzkoff, Chief Policy Officer, Patriot Rail
- Matthew Dick, P.E., Chief of Strategy & Development, ENSCO, Inc., TTC operated by ENSCO
- Ed Quinn, President & CEO, R. J. Corman Railroad Group
Coffee Break sponsored by RailWorks Corporation
Railway Age / RT&S Women in Rail Honorees Panel
We will cover the awards programs that celebrate women trailblazers with track records of breaking down barriers and helping to create industry opportunities for women, plus past honorees will offer industry insights and discuss their career journeys.
Moderated by Barbara Wilson, Freight Rail Industry C-Suite Executive; KellyAnne Gallagher, CEO, Commuter Rail Coalition; and David Lester, Editor-in-Chief, RT&S
- Cherita Hunter Jones, Group Manager Performance Excellence – Data Optimization, Norfolk Southern (RT&S Women in Engineering Honoree, 2022)
- Staci Moody-Gilbert, Vice President, Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division, International Brotherhood of Teamsters (Railway Age Women in Rail Honoree, 2022)
- Jacqueline L. Patterson, Vice President & Co-founder, Zephyr UAS, Inc. (Railway Age Women in Rail Honoree, 2022)
- CleLeatha Shaw, Manager – Crew Management, Metra / Local Chapter President, National Association of Railway Business Women (Railway Age Women in Rail Honoree, 2022)
Sponsor Spotlight (sponsorship available)
A conversation with Janet Drysdale, Senior Vice President & Chief Stakeholder Relations Officer, CN
Program is subject to change.
Railway Age / RT&S Women in Rail 2023 is your opportunity to connect with a diverse group of women and their allies who are driving their businesses forward while effecting change. Market your services directly to these fast-rising decision-makers and those who make purchasing recommendations.