The procurement process for two Metrolinx new-build light rail transit (LRT) projects in the GTHA (Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area) have advanced significantly.
Infrastructure Ontario (IO), the provincial agency that acts as procurement and commercial lead for all major public infrastructure projects in the province, working with Metrolinx, plans to award contracts for the Finch West and Hurontario LRT projects in 2018.
FINCH WEST LRT (TORONTO)
In February 2016, IO and Metrolinx issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to three consortia that had been shortlisted through an earlier Request for Quotations (RFQ) process. This RFP is for a DBFM (Design-Build-Finance-Maintain) contract. The RFP has been closed, and a preferred proponent is expected to be announced in Spring 2018. Construction will begin this year, with completion in 2022.
Finch West is being delivered using IO’s AFP (Alternative Financing and Procurement) model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction, financing and maintenance of the project to the private sector.
Highlights of this LRT project include:
- 6.8 miles (11 km) of new, dedicated light rail transit between Humber College and the Toronto Transit Commission’s new Finch West subway station on the Vaughan Extension.
- 16 surface stops, a below-grade terminus stop at Humber College, and an underground interchange station (Keele Street and Finch Avenue West) at the TTC’s Finch West subway station.
- An LRV maintenance and storage facility.
- Other required components (trackwork, signaling, communications, public realm infrastructure).
The three shortlisted consortia:
Humber Valley Transit Partners
- Developers: SNC-Lavalin, Graham.
- Contractors: SNC-Lavalin, Graham.
- Service Provider: SNCLavalin, ACI.
- Financial Advisor: National Bank, Scotia Capital.
Mosaic Transit Group
- Developers: ACS, Aecon, CRH.
- Contractors: ACS, Aecon, CRH.
- Service Provider: ACS, Aecon, CRH.
- Financial Advisor: RBC Capital Markets.
- Developers: EllisDon, Bechtel.
- Contractors: EllisDon, Bechtel.
- Service Provider: EllisDon, Bechtel, Herzog Transit.
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital.
HURONTARIO LRT (MISSISSAUGA)
Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx have issued an RFP to three shortlisted consortia for a DBFOM (Design-Build-Finance-Operate-Maintain) contract for the Hurontario LRT project. An RFQ issued in June 2017 shortlisted the top three teams, based on their construction, design, operation and maintenance capability, experience, qualified personnel and financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and scope. They have been invited to respond to the RFP, and will begin preparing proposals that detail how they will deliver the project. Upon evaluating the proposals received, IO and Metrolinx expect to award the contract during 2018.
The Hurontario LRT project includes:
- 12.4 miles (20 km) of new, dedicated LRT between the Port Credit GO Transit regional/commuter rail station on the Lakeshore West Line in Mississauga to the Gateway Terminal at Steeles Avenue in Brampton.
- 22 surface stops with connections to GO Transit’s Milton and Lakeshore West rail lines, Mississauga MiWay, Brampton Transit, and the Mississauga Transitway BRT (bus rapid transit).
- An LRV maintenance and storage facility at Highway 407.
Construction is anticipated to start in 2018, with an estimated in-service date in 2022.
Like Finch West, the Hurontario LRT is being delivered using IO’s AFP delivery model. Metrolinx has been working closely with the Cities of Mississauga and Brampton to integrate their transit system standards and requirements into the new LRT project.
The three shortlisted consortia:
HLCP (Hurontario Light Rail Connection Partners)
- Equity Providers: Cintra, Acciona, Colas.
- Constructors: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Ferrovial Agroman Canada Inc., Colas, DPM Energy, LURA Consulting.
- Designers: Arup Canada Inc., SENER, Dillon Consulting, DTAH, Grimshaw.
- Operation, Maintenance & Rehabilitation Providers: RATP Dev Canada Inc., Acciona, Cintra, Colas Rail.
- Equity Providers: Astaldi, John Laing, Hitachi-Ansaldo, Transdev, Amico Concessions.
- Constructors: Astaldi, Hitachi, Amico, Bot.
- Designers: IBI, Hitachi, Morrison Hershfield, Arcadis, Daoust Lestage, Exp.
- Operation Maintenance & Rehabilitation Providers: Transdev, Hitachi-Ansaldo, Astaldi.
Trillium Transit Partners
- Equity Providers: Kiewit, Meridiam, Keolis
- Constructors: Peter Kiewit Sons, Bird, Mass Electric, Black and MacDonald, Coco Paving.
- Designers: Stantec Consulting, STV Inc., Perkins + Will, Urban Strategies Inc., Entuitive.
- Operation, Maintenance & Rehabilitation Provider: Keolis Canada Inc.
Editor-in-Chief William C. Vantuono contributed to this story.