Railway Age’s 2022 Women in Rail awards program recognizes 23 leaders—from senior management to agreement employees—who are driving change and paving the way for the next generation of railroaders.
Established in 2017, the annual awards are presented to railway industry women in the United States, Canada and/or Mexico for their outstanding leadership, vision, innovation, community service involvement, and accomplishments. In an industry typically dominated by men, their professionalism and hard work set an example for many.
“This year’s honorees were drawn from a pool of more than 100 applicants—our most yet,” Railway Age Publisher Jonathan Chalon said. “These distinguished women are making their mark in the freight, passenger, government and supplier sectors with a commitment to service, safety and sustainability.” In addition to the 23 honorees, five women received honorable mention in 2022. All will be featured in Railway Age’s November 2022 issue.
The judges for the sixth annual awards were veteran railroad executive Barbara Wilson and Commuter Rail Coalition CEO KellyAnne Gallagher, with input from the Railway Age staff.
And the honorees are (in alphabetical order):
- Maeghan Albiston, Vice President, Capital Markets, Canadian Pacific (Women in Rail honorable mention in 2019)
- Mary Carlson Bis, Senior Director, Emergency Management, Amtrak
- Anamaria Bonilla, Deputy Chief Engineer-Structures, MTA Metro-North Railroad
- Carrie Donchez, Yardmaster, Norfolk Southern
- Shannon Drown, Assistant Vice President of Commercial Development, Railroads, R.J. Corman Railroad Group
- Alicia Hammersmith, Vice President of Operations, Transit, Wabtec Corporation
- Karen Hankinson, Vice President and Senior Project Manager, RailPros
- Evelyn Hawkins, President and CEO, JKEI Management LLC
- Jodi Heath, Regional Vice President-Eastern Division, Patriot Rail
- Jillian Krupko, Director-Operations Strategy and Analytics, TTX
- Kate Luce, President and CEO, Mississippi Export Railroad
- Tracy MacPhee, Vice President of Passenger Rail and Motor Coach, Ontario Northland
- Staci Moody-Gilbert, Vice President, Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employes Division-International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Sandra Ocaña, Purchasing and Logistics Manager, The Greenbrier Companies
- Jacqueline L. Patterson, Vice President, Zephyr UAS, Inc.
- Debra Ross, AVP, Talent Management, BNSF Railway
- Paige Raulerson, Manager, Dispute Resolution, Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Services Inc.
- Krimhilda Edith Rodriguez Silva, Director, Health and Safety, Kansas City Southern de Mexico
- Katie Sanders, Assistant Vice President Operations Technology, Union Pacific
- CleLeatha Shaw, Manager-Crew Management, Metra
- Elizabeth Smith, Chief of Staff, Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- Tomeka Watson-Bryant, General Manager, New Orleans Public Belt Railroad
- Angie Williams, Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer, CSX
- Cathy Campbell-Wilson, Senior Vice President, Parsons Corporation
- Dejah Singh, Project Warranty Manager, Alstom
- Meredith Slesinger, Rail and Transit Administrator, Massachusetts Department of Transportation
- Kathleen Smith, Vice President, Business Development and Real Estate, Norfolk Southern
- Alanna Strohecker, Vice President, Global Goods Movement Director, AECOM
In related developments, Railway Age will hold its inaugural Rail Insights: Women in Rail Virtual Conference on Nov. 10.