Railroad Bridge Engineer Watco Transportation
The primary duties of the Rail Bridge Engineer are to lead and develop plans for maintenance and ongoing improvements of bridges and structures throughout Watco’s Railroad system. Support the development of bridge and other structural design plans, specifications, rehabilitation or new construction.
Bridge engineering assignments may include special inspections, inspecting bridges and performing load rating calculations as well as assisting with geometric layout, writing specifications and developing cost estimates. Assignments may also include structural services related to inspections or construction. Direction and guidance to bridge contractors and understanding of contracting standards to ensure quality repairs.
Must be competent in the field of Railroad Bridge engineering who has either graduated from an ABET accredited school of engineering and/or is a licensed professional engineer authorized to perform the work set forth herein. The Railroad Bridge Engineer will be readily accessible to the Bridge Program Manager to assist in making decisions as required and to perform tasks within the Bridge Management Plan (FRA regulation) that require engineering expertise including: determining the load capacity of Railroad Bridge(s), prescribing inspection and maintenance procedures, evaluating high priority conditions that go beyond the technical competence of a Railroad Bridge Inspector, and designing repairs and modifications. The Railroad Bridge Engineer has the authority to stop trains and may recommend more frequent inspections when necessary.
The individual will work closely with VP of Engineering, Division Engineers, Project Management Team, and designated bridge engineering contractor.
Engineer responsibilities may include managing project scope, budget and schedule as well as development of design criteria, project guides, project meeting notes, and project controls. Position may require periodic site visits, field assessments, and construction inspection, as needed. Conditional assessment of structures for potential Railroad acquisitions.
This will be a remote position with travel required
- BS in Civil Engineering required, MS in Civil Engineering preferred
- EIT required, PE preferred
- Five to ten years of railroad-bridge engineering experience
- Demonstrate significant experience with railroad bridge design and rehabilitation
- Bridge evaluations including inspections and load ratings
- Understand and interpret Federal Railway Administration (FRA) regulations, specifically the FRA Bridge Safety Standards (49 CFR Part 237)
- Ability to review shop drawings for repairs
- Excellent communication skills and working in a team environment
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our family oriented culture is a must.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently as well as within a multidisciplinary team
- Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively; uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Railroad project experience is preferred
- Experience working with AREMA’s Manual for Railway Engineering and other railroad design specifications preferred
Please apply here: [email protected]