POSITION TITLE: Machinist (Journeyman)
POSITION SUMMARY: A machinist is responsible for inspecting, servicing, and maintaining diesel locomotive mechanical systems in accordance with company and federal regulations; diagnosing diesel engine malfunctions and effecting repairs using hand tools, overhead cranes and machine tools; operating forklifts, cranes, and tractors; using torches and welders.
TRAINING: Machinist apprentices (non-journeymen) are required to serve an apprenticeship of 732 working days or approximately 3 years.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Machinists ordinarily work in mechanical shop environments, but sometimes also on line-of-road. A machinist must therefore be prepared to work in all types of weather conditions, for extended periods of time. While a machinist position entails primarily shift work, including weekends, from time-to-time overtime may be required.
• High School diploma or GED equivalent
• Valid driver’s license
• Journeyman Machinist license OR three (3) years mechanical experience
This position is eligible for a hiring bonus ONLY to those requiring relocation to the Kansas City Joint Yard location. A $15,000. Hiring bonus payable over three (3) years in equal installments of $5,000 is available for candidates who meet the below qualifications:
• Offered a position and who successfully complete the pre-employment process
• Provide documentation of journeyman status of the same craft at the time of offer
• Successfully complete probationary period of 90 days
• Requires currently relocating from your current home address and otherwise meet the basic qualifications for this position
• This incentive will require a three-year retention period. Leaving the location or job for any reason will result in 100% repayment and forfeiture of future payments
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and the successful applicant may be required to join the union. Monthly union dues may be required and will be deducted from the employee’s paycheck.
The duties, responsibilities and qualifications in this posting are representative categories to be used by an applicant in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general guidelines do not constitute an exhaustive list of qualifications or essential functions of the position. In addition, these general guidelines bear no relation to, nor are they intended to modify or conflict with, any collective bargaining agreement provision. Questions about the collective bargaining agreement, if any, governing the position described herein should be directed to the appropriate union organization.