Job title: Manager Track Maintenance
Work Location: Harrington, DE
Department: Maintenance of Way (MOW)
Reports to: Director Track Maintenance
Classification: Full time – Exempt
Carload Express, Inc. is a leading short line railroad and transportation company serving Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the surrounding region. Carload Express is comprised of four rail lines: Allegheny Valley Railroad, Delmarva Central Railroad, Southwest Pennsylvania Railroad and Ohio Terminal Railway. Carload specializes in providing flexible local service. Our management team strives to offer precise and responsive rail service to over 90 customers shipping over 90,000 carloads on our 344-route mile rail network. Our multiple connections to the North American rail system allow our customers to enjoy cost competitive rail freight routing options.
The successful candidate for this position will serve as the railroad track and roadway maintenance leader for Delmarva Central Railroad. The MTM is responsible for planning all track and roadway maintenance operations for DCR including working with the management team to define priorities and budgets, establishing and evaluating performance expectations, metrics and measurements and implementing industry best practices.
The MTM reports to the Director of Track Maintenance (DTM) and directly supervises track foremen, track inspectors and contractors in the Maintenance of Way (MOW) department. Responsible for oversight of conditions, maintenance and repair of track, roadway, crossing surfaces, drainage facilities, signage and vegetation control. The MTM carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable regulations and laws. Responsibilities include participation in interviewing and hiring, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Lead, direct and manage the day-to-day activities of the Maintenance of Way department
- Lead, enforce and support the safety program, safety goals, policies, procedures and use of personal protective equipment (PPE) for all Maintenance of Way personnel
- Develop work plans and maintenance to support operating efficiency and customer service
- Work with the DTM and Transportation Officers to prioritize programs and budgets
- Ensure engineering instructions are adhered to for inspection, maintenance, and construction
- Promote training programs and identify appropriate type and level of training required
- Develop an understanding and knowledge of the traffic on and service needs of the network
- Execute engineering plans that meet the specifications and achieve the capital project plans
- Manage administrative aspects of the position, communicating and interacting with all functions in the organization
- Monitor bridge deck conditions and communicate as needed to DTM
- Respond to emergency situations involving track or bridge decks
- Assist DTM with updating and enforcing Engineering Department Standards
- Establish and maintain work management processes that are visible to the organization
- Articulate a focused, clear vision for strategic priorities and elevate those of highest priority
- Coordinate and plan ordinary track work and program maintenance with train operations
- Perform track inspections to monitor and train track inspectors ensuring quality and safety
- Follow and monitor work practices to improve safety, quality and performance
- Monitor and enforce FRA compliance along with company policies, rules, regulations and FRA and PAPUC records
- Work with local, county and state agencies on railroad issues to promote good relations
- Collect, provide and review information for future track programs with DTM
- Oversee contractors performing maintenance or capital program work in the territory
- Manage labor, tools, materials and equipment for field forces performing maintenance
- Manage maintenance of way budget, review budget with DTM and employ cost control efforts
- Monitor daily bulletins and implement corrective action plans to remove slow orders
- Monitor projects to ensure materials, labor and equipment provided meet schedule and budget
- Travel and overnight stays may be required
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7-10 years related Maintenance of Way (MOW) supervisory work experience in railroading required
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of education and related railroad experience required Bachelor of Science in Engineering preferred
- A valid State Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understands FRA and AREMA track safety and maintenance standards
- Experienced in maintaining and enforcing FRA and AREMA track safety standards
- Able to apply FRA track safety standards in the field and document items of non-compliance
- Familiar with, experienced in and capable of applying safety rules, procedures and practices
- Able to read and understand engineering drawings, right of way maps and construction plans
- Knowledge of contracts and contract management
- Able to assign priorities, define expectations, and achieve performance in accordance with plan
- Demonstrated ability to self-motivate, prioritize, promote safe work habits and meet budget
- Able to read and comprehend published rules, procedures, manuals, regulations and instruction
- Able to articulate and drive a focused, clear vision for strategic maintenance priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Windows XP and computer software
- Demonstrate attention to detail and ability to coordinate various activities of both a physical and administrative level simultaneously.
- Professional behavior and interactions with staff, customers and crew.
- Represent the company well with customers, contractors, government agencies, etc.
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills and communicate in a clear, concise, courteous and professional manner
- This is largely a physical role that works with Maintenance of Way (MOW) employees in the field.
- The position will require at times heavy physical labor on a continuous basis.
- This job operates in both a clerical, office setting and in the field.
- This role routinely uses (1) railroad field equipment and (2) standard office equipment.