CN Issues 2021 Sustainability Report Data SupplementWritten by Carolina Worrell, Senior Editor
CN on Sept. 14 released a 2021 sustainability report data supplement outlining key performance metrics in the areas of environment, safety, people, community and economy.
Building on the railroad’s full 76-page 2020 Delivering Responsibly Sustainability Report, which was released in January, the newly published supplement focuses on CN’s key ESG (environmental, social and governance) targets and 2021 progress, including:
- Reducing scope 1 and 2 GHG emission intensity by 43%, by 2030 based on 2019 and committed to setting a net-zero 2050 carbon emissions target by signing the “Business Ambition for 1.5°C”. In 2021, CN says it reduced its GHG emission intensity for scope 1 and 2 by 3.3% from 2020. According to the railroad, CN has realized a 15% progress towards its 2030 target.
- Reducing air emissions intensity by 6% by 2022 based on 2017 based on a long-standing Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Transport Canada. In 2021, CN says it achieved its target.
- Diverting approximately 95% of operational waste from landfills annually. In 2021, CN says it achieved its target.
- Planting three million trees by 2030. In 2021, CN says it planted 112,000 trees, for a total of 2.3 million trees since 2012. According to the railroad, CN has realized a 77% progress towards its 2030 target.
- Reducing the personal injury frequency rate by 55%, by 2030 based on 2019 numbers. In 2021, CN says it improved its Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) injury frequency rate by 19% from 2020. According to the railroad, CN has realized a 59% progress towards its 2030 target.
- Reducing the train accident frequency rate by 45%, by 2030 based on 2019. In 2021, CN says it improved its FRA train accident rate by 3% from 2020. According to the railroad, CN has realized a 41% progress towards its 2030 target.
- Attain and maintain an executive management team in which at least thirty percent are women. According to CN, at the end of 2021, six of the 35 executive management roles (17%) were held by women, and as of July 31, 2022, eight of the 32 executive management roles (25%) were held by women.
- Attain and maintain a Board composition in which at least 50% of the non-management Board members come from diverse groups, including gender parity. According to CN, at the end of 2021, five of the 10 independent Board members (50%) were women. CN says it has met its 2022 target. In addition, 20% of independent Board members identified as visible minorities.
CN says its Climate Action Plan and annual sustainability disclosures are “aligned with rigorous international standards,” such as the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, and the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
DOWNLOAD THE 2021 SUSTAINABILITY DATA REPORT SUPPLEMENT BELOW:
DOWNLOAD THE 2020 DELIVERING RESPONSIBLY SUSTAINABILITY REPORT BELOW: