The September 2023 issue of Railway Age is now available digitally, with a focus on technology—from locomotives and C&S to maintenance-of-way and IT—plus the 2023 Product and Innovations Showcase.
Inside, you’ll find these feature stories:
• Clean Track Ahead — Diesel locomotives will be around for a long time, and they rapidly need to get cleaner, writes Railway Age Contributing Editor Bob Cantwell.
• Argentine Advancements — IT systems at BNSF’s Argentine Yard improve efficiency and benefit customers.
• Inside the CSX Playbook — Running a scheduled railroad and safely meeting customer and infrastructure requirements is a “team sport.”
• Invest in Preparedness — Committing to asset and litigation preparation is a critical part of a cyber defense budget, according to Gil Lamphere, former Illinois Central Chairmen and Board Member of CSX, CN, Florida East Coast and Patriot Rail (Chair); and Craig Wenner, Boies Schiller Flexner LLP Partner.
• Which Intelligence, When? — In North America, the two primary opportunities for using Artificial Intelligence (AI) involve train control and traffic management to provide increased safety and business benefits, respectively, reports Railway Age Contributing Editor Ron Lindsey.
• Avoid Locomotive Jack Knife Derailments — The solution, according to Railway Age Contributing Editor Michael Iden, P.E., is alignment control couplers and draft gear.
• ‘Micro-Lubrication Is Our Best Friend’ — The numbers prove out the benefits of zMAX® application on RJ Corman Railroad Company locomotives.
• Capacity and Demand Extremes: Managing Risk of Failure — In the latest edition of “Timeout for Tech with Gary T. Fry, Ph.D., P.E.,” Fry discusses the methods engineers use to mitigate the risk of failure of systems that they design and manufacture.
• MxV Rail R&D — Anish Poudel, Principal Investigator II-Nondestructive Evaluation, provides an update on the development of electromagnetic acoustic transducer (EMAT) nondestructive evaluation (NDE) technology.
Railway Age is also pleased to present the Product and Innovations Showcase 2023. As the industry’s partner for generations, Railway Age recognizes the importance of the supply community continuing to interface with customers. The Showcase spotlights many of the industry’s top suppliers—innovators all.
Plus, Railway Age Capitol Hill Contributing Editor Frank N. Wilner discusses budget “hocus pocus” targeting rail workers. “This wicked pick-pocketing by Congress has uncharacteristically caused rail carriers and rail labor to link arms in solidarity to halt it,” he writes. Railway Age Contributing Editor Jim Blaze reviews Wilner’s latest book, Railroads & Economic Regulation, An Insider’s Account. And Railway Age Financial Editor David Nahass addresses the end of the “Lance Fritz era” at Union Pacific.