The February 2021 issue of Railway Age is now available digitally, covering topics from hydrogen fuel cell locomotives to Big Data and showcasing the Honorees of our 20 Under 40 program.
Inside you’ll find feature stories on:
• The proposed transformation of locomotives from diesel-electric to HFC (hydrogen fuel cell), and the use of hybrid lash-ups. Plus, interviews with Cummins and The Hydrogen Council, whose Executive Director is also the former CEO of Hydrogenics, the fuel cell and electrolizer company that Cummins acquired.
• The legislative possibilities for the 117th Congress. Will we build back better in 2021?
• Using Big Data to maintain rolling stock performance.
• What Positive Train Control is—and isn’t.
• The convergence of operational and information technology for “Industry 4.0.”
• How better railcar visibility is improving freight rail shipment management.
• How real-time monitoring of fuel and lube oil is improving performance for MBTA and CSX.
Most important, Railway Age is pleased to present our 2021 “Fast Trackers”—the top 20 railroaders under the age of 40 who are making an impact in their respective fields or companies. Michigan State Center for Railway Research & Education Director Nick Little selected the Honorees, plus 10 Honorable Mentions, for our sixth-annual program.
In addition, American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association President Chuck Baker addresses small-road perseverance—and how it’s paid off with 45G permanency. And Railway Age Financial Editor David Nahass tells equipment owners and operators: “You can’t hide behind COVID-19 forever.”