Latest News Continued
Groundbreaking ceremonies are scheduled for this Thursday for Portland’s 7.3-mile light rail extension to the suburban city of Milwaukie, beginning at the Willamette River, where a multimodal transit bridge will be built. The extension, expected to cost $1.49 billion, will ex ...
Canadian National plans to merge three railroads into one, under the Wisconsin Central Railway moniker, by year’s end, the railroad says, in a consolidation that among other advantages could streamline CN rail traffic flows between Winnipeg and Chicago.   ...
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood on Monday announced $1.58 billion for 28 public transit items, to be funded by Fiscal Year 2011 Section 5309 “New Starts” allocations. Rail transit projects made out exceptionally well, with 16 items garnering more then $1.33 billion, or more than ...
The preliminary death count remained at six Monday as investigators continued to examine the wreckage left when a highway tractor-trailer rig crashed into a double-deck car of Amtrak’s westbound California Zephyr at a grade crossing near Fallon, Nev., 70 miles east of Reno, on Friday. ...
Osaka, Japan-based Sumitomo Metal Industries Ltd. said Monday it has reached an agreement to buy Pittsburgh-based Standard Steel LLC, a maker of train wheels and axles, for roughly $340 million. Sumitomo Metal Industries will acquire 90% of Standard Steel, with the remaining 10% held ...
Alstom is in exclusive talks to land a contract to build high speed rail in Iraq linking Baghdad, the capital, and the port city of Basra, a French transport minister said Friday. ...
Officials from Greater Toronto’s Metrolinx Thursday provided an update of the planned Eglinton Avenue light rail line—now primarily to be placed in a subway tunnel—which includes renaming the route the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown.
BART’s Board of Directors on Thursday awarded the second of two major construction contracts advancing its 5.4-mile Warm Springs Extension contract. Fairfield, Calif.-based Warm Springs Constructors was chosen to design and install track and associated facilities, and construct a Warm Springs ...
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Thursday announced the California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) can begin spending a $16 million grant to support safety and scheduling improvements between San Francisco to San Jose corridor. The grant will advance design of a positive train control (PTC) t ...
23 June 2011

L

Virginia Railway Express has authorized $250,000 to install a switch outside L’Enfant Station in Washington, D.C., allowing VRE trains terminating at Union Station to be stored more efficiently and quickly at L’Enfant. The project will require a total of $2 million to complete. ...
431
Page 431 of 694