|Knife River Corporation||Department|
|Job Type||Full-Time||Job Status||Sourcing|
|Salary Range||Per Month||Shift||Morning|
|Minimum Education||University||Degree Title|
|Minimum Exerience||No of Jobs||1|
|Stop Publishing||03/07/2014||Country||United States|
General Manager - Railroad Division
Tangent or Portland, Oregon
March 7, 2014
DOE plus excellent benefits package
GENERAL SUMMARY (2 to 3 sentence summary of major components of job)
Responsible for managing all business activities for the Railroad Division of the Northwest Region including: planning, budgeting, estimating, equipment and leadership of company personnel with the upmost integrity. Under the direction of the President, supports business development and growth strategies to grow a railroad division within the Northwest Region of Knife River and coordinate railroad opportunities company wide. Serves as a company representative to the community and supports regional and corporate initiatives as needed. Works closely with the management team of the Northwest Region to develop a dynamic and profitable railroad business that is safe and a great place to work.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (minimum educational, experience, or other relevant job requirements)
1. Bachelors’ degree in construction, engineering, business or related field with seven years of progressively responsible management experience in a railroad construction setting.
2. Proven background in sales and business development.
3. Five or more years of field operations experience.
4. Experience working and managing complex projects.
5. Proficient knowledge in computer skills and computer software relative to the railroad construction industry.
6. Strong leadership and teamwork skills with the ability to facilitate complex work strategies.
7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including making presentations.
8. Experience in training, developing and assessing company personnel.
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS (preferred requirements i.e. certifications, software use, etc.)
1. Advanced degree in construction, engineering, business or related field with ten years experience in a railroad setting.
2. Significant knowledge of railroad operations, both class one and shortline, with strong emphasis on business development skills as well as estimating, planning and process skills.
DUTIES AND/OR RESPONSIBILITIES (summary of components that make up the job) An asterisk (*) indicates essential job functions that cannot be modified in order to fulfill the job requirements.
1. Provide leadership, vision, employee development and teamwork initiatives to build a successful railroad division.
2. Responsible for developing a strategic business plan that includes operations, finance, competitor and market assessments and labor needs. Identifies and plans for capital improvements and maintenance needs to support the operations.
3. Develops, monitors and recommends adjustments to sales and operating budgets. Closely monitors pricing to maintain a competitive advantage within the markets.
4. Oversees management of the day to day activities of the railroad division through the local management team.
5. Works to develop and maintain working relationships with major customers and seeks out potential customers.
6. Oversees the estimating staff to identify potential projects to bid, pricing of projects, engineering and operational approaches to completing projects and assessment of post bid project success rates.
7. Reviews and/or approves contracts, legal matters and other information of a highly sensitive or confidential nature.
8. Works with appropriate staff and vendors to oversee the maintenance and replacement programs of railroad equipment.
9. Ensure MSHA, OSHA, EPA,Railroad safety and environmental regulation is in compliance and being upheld to the highest standard.
10. Develop organizational structure to support business plan levels.
11. Ability to travel on short notice and for extended periods. May travel 20 weeks per year or more.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITITES (types and extent of knowledge, skills or abilities an incumbent must possess to complete the job responsibilities satisfactorily)
1. Able to pull together a strong team without direct authority over parts of the team.
2. Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation).
3. Strong organizational skills.
4. Knowledge of computer systems and software.
5. Able to work independently and under time constraints.
NOTICE: Because of the nature of work at Knife River, the person in this position may be expected to work any shift and at various locations based on company needs and the duties of the position may change at any time and may not be identified in this job description. The content of the job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as a contract or an all inclusive list of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills and abilities required of all personnel so classified.
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position, candidates must complete and submit an employment application at https://jobs.mdu.com/ by the posting deadline noted above. If unable to complete an application online you may print and send completed application to any Knife River NW address or stop in one of our locations to complete an application.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
|Providence and Worcester Railroad Company|
|L&S Electric |
|Herzog TransitAmerica Services|
|NICTD (Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District)|